Electrical safety is important! At UI, we want you and your family to be safe.
Power lines are essential to distributing electricity to your home or office, however, they are not designed for human contact. It is extremely dangerous to touch a power line, whether it is overhead or has fallen on the ground. Fallen power lines are extremely dangerous. Call 911 and UI. Do not touch a downed line or anyone in contact with the line. Always assume a downed line is live.
Beware of a downed power line touching a vehicle. Stay clear of the vehicle and the power line. If a power line touches your vehicle while you are inside, remain calm. If you can do so safely, stay inside the vehicle until emergency assistance arrives or warn others to stay away from the vehicle and have them call UI.
Outlets and Switches
Always check to ensure that your outlet and switch covers are in good condition. If you are able to see exposed wiring, replace the switch or the cover.
Always remember to use safety caps on unused outlets. Small children and pet can suffer electrical contact from these sources.
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) should be used in areas such as bathrooms, sinks and pool areas where water has the potential of coming in contact with electricity
Extension & Power Cords
Inspect extension and power cords for wear and tear. Replace any cord you find that is frayed or cracked.
NEVER overload an extension or power cord! If the cord is warm or hot to the touch, there is a good chance that it is overloaded and could cause an electrical fire if not corrected.
Children and Pets
Small children and pets should never be left unattended around electrical outlets, switches, extension cords. Safety plugs can be purchased at most hardware stores to keep your children and pets safe from electrical exposure.
For additional information on electrical safety, please visit www.esfi.org