UI Issues Holiday Weather Advisory
ORANGE, Conn. — December 22, 2020 (3 p.m. EDT) — United Illuminating is monitoring forecasts and making preparations ahead of a wind and rain storm that has potential to cause service interruptions over the Christmas holiday.
The storm is expected to bring rain and strong, gusty winds picking up on Thursday evening and continuing into early Friday morning. These conditions could cause downed wires and power outages.
UI’s Storm Team has been actively planning, and line and tree crews will be standing ready to restore any power outages that might occur during the overnight hours. The company is prepared to open its Storm Center and Customer Care Center over the holiday, and to mobilize any additional resources that may be necessary to restore service quickly and safely.
“While our hope is that this storm passes without impact, the weather takes no holidays, and we are ready to serve our customers 365 days a year,” said UI President Frank Reynolds.
UI advises customers to be prepared year-round for the possibility of weather-related outages, and to have a plan in case of an extended loss of service. Customers can find safety and readiness information, and other resources, at uinet.com.
Before a Storm:
- Sign up for Outage Alerts. Text “REG” to 839-884 (TEXT-UI) to receive free text alerts if you lose service, and for restoration updates. Or, visit uinet.com for additional alert options.
- Keep long-lasting LED flashlights and lanterns on hand, along with a battery-operated radio, fresh batteries, drinking water, non-perishable foods and prescription medications.
- Fully charge mobile devices and store emergency contacts in memory.
- Fuel vehicles and fill spare fuel tanks for generators.
Medical and Life Support Customers:
- Customers who rely on life-saving medical equipment should have a plan in case of a sudden or extended loss of service. UI medical and life-support customers should register in advance to ensure the company is aware of their needs. Call UI at 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI).
- Do not use a generator that plugs into your home’s electrical system unless it is connected via a transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician. Improperly connected generators can back-feed electricity into the outside grid and pose a danger to the public and to crews working to restore service.
- Carefully read and observe the instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Never run a generator indoors, in an open garage, or near a window.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
Report an Outage:
- To report an outage, visit uinet.com or call 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI).
- Report outages using the company’s new mobile app, available from the Apple Store and Google Play.
- Report outages via UI’s mobile alerts system: text “OUT” to 839-884 (TEXT-UI). Registration is required.
Additional storm readiness and safety information:
- Visit UI online at uinet.com.
- Find UI on facebook.com/unitedilluminating.
- Follow @UnitedIllum on Twitter.
- Storm relief resources can be found by calling Connecticut’s InfoLine at 2-1-1, or by visiting 211ct.org.
# # #