Turn Service Off

At UI, we want to make the process of starting, stopping, or transferring service in our territory simple and convenient for our customers.

UI serves customers in these seventeen towns:  Ansonia, Bridgeport, Derby, East Haven, Easton, Fairfield, Hamden, Milford, New Haven, North Branford, North Haven, Orange, Shelton, Stratford, Trumbull, West Haven, and Woodbridge.

Please have the required information, listed below, on hand when you call UI at 800 7 CALL UI (800.722.5584).


To Start Service:  

Starting service at a new location

  • Address where electric service will be established (i.e., service address)
  • Billing address if different from the service address
  • Service start date (i.e., Move-in date--example format:  03/03/16)
  • Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Second form of identification (e.g., driver's license number)
  • Phone number
  • The name and SSN for any other persons (e.g., spouse, child) who will be authorized to access your account

UI is committed to help prevent identity theft. When you start service with UI, we require at least two forms of identification (Social Security Number, driver’s license, military ID, or passport) so that we may verify your identity. If you do not wish to provide your Social Security Number via our on-line form, UI will send you a letter requesting two (2) forms of valid ID. If UI does not receive two forms of valid identification or is unable to validate your identification within 15 days, your service will be disconnected.


To Stop Service:  

Stopping service at your current location

  • Date you wish the service to end
  • Mailing address where UI can mail your final bill



To Transfer Service:  

Transferring your service from one location to another

  • Address of the new service location (i.e., service address)
  • Billing address if different from the new service address
  • Date the old service will stop (i.e., move-out date)
  • Date the new service will start (i.e., move-in date)
  • Phone number for new service location


New Construction:  

Building a new home? Making renovations to your existing home? UI can help! Speak to a UI Customer Service Representative for assistance.


Change Existing Electrical Service

Need to replace, increase, remove or create a new electrical service? If you are a contractor/owner, please complete a Contractor Service Location Request form.