ORANGE, Conn. — December 15, 2020 (4 p.m. EDT) — United Illuminating is monitoring forecasts, making staffing plans and mobilizing resources ahead of a Nor’Easter that is expected to bring heavy snow and stiff winds to the state Wednesday evening and into Thursday.
UI has been readying line workers and tree crews should the storm cause power outages or damage to equipment.
The company advises customers to be prepared year-round for the possibility of weather-related outages, and to have a plan in case of an extended loss of service. Customers can find safety and readiness information, as well as resources, at its website, uinet.com.
Before a Storm:
- Sign up for Outage Alerts. Text “REG” to 839-884 (TEXT-UI) to receive free text alerts if you lose service, and for restoration updates. Or, visit uinet.com for additional alert options.
- Keep long-lasting LED flashlights and lanterns on hand, along with a battery-operated radio, fresh batteries, drinking water, non-perishable foods and prescription medications.
- Fully charge mobile devices and store emergency contacts in memory.
- Fuel vehicles and fill spare fuel tanks for generators.
Medical and Life Support Customers:
- Customers who rely on life-saving medical equipment should have a plan in case of a sudden or extended loss of service. UI medical and life-support customers should register in advance to ensure the company is aware of their needs. Call UI at 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI).
- Do not use a generator that plugs into your home’s electrical system unless it is connected via a transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician. Improperly connected generators can back-feed electricity into the outside grid and pose a danger to the public and to crews working to restore service.
- Carefully read and observe the instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Never run a generator indoors, in an open garage, or near a window.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
Report an Outage:
- To report an outage, visit uinet.com or call 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI).
- Report outages using the company’s new mobile app, available from the Apple Store and Google Play.
- Report outages via UI’s mobile alerts system: text “OUT” to 839-884 (TEXT-UI). Registration is required.
Additional storm readiness and safety information:
# # #