FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Customers Advised To Sign Up for Outage Alerts and Prepare for Possibility of Extended Outages
ORANGE, Connecticut — February 24, 2019 — United Illuminating, a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR), is monitoring forecasts and preparing for a weather event that could bring damaging winds across the state tonight and Monday.
The National Weather Service has issued a High Wind Warning for most of UI’s service territory from 10 p.m. tonight through 6 p.m. Monday, with sustained winds ranging from 25 to 35 mph, and the potential for gusts reaching 55 mph. These conditions could damage trees and take down power lines, causing power disruptions.
Customers are urged to monitor weather forecasts, stay safe and have a plan in case of an extended service outage. Locations of warming centers and other resources can be found by calling Connecticut’s InfoLine at 2-1-1, or by visiting www.211ct.org. To sign up to receive free UI outage alerts and restoration updates on mobile devices, customers can text “REG” to 839-884, or visit uinet.com for additional alert outages.
UI has created staffing plans for field personnel, and has arranged for contractor line and vegetation management crews to be standing by. UI is also working with other AVANGRID companies in the region to ensure a flexible and well-coordinated response. Other preparations include servicing vehicles and ensuring adequate stock of equipment such as wires, poles and transformers. The company will work with local and state emergency officials to prioritize public safety and the restoration of critical services.
Customers are advised to stay far away from downed lines and anything that may be in contact with them. Downed lines can be live and dangerous even if they don’t appear to be energized. Report them to UI at 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI).
The company offers the following storm preparation and safety tips:
Before a Storm:
- Sign up for Outage Alerts. Text “REG” to 839-884 to receive free text alerts if you lose service, and for restoration updates. Or, go to uinet.com for additional alert options.
- Keep long-lasting LED flashlights and lanterns on hand, along with a battery-operated radio, fresh batteries, drinking water, non-perishable foods and prescription medications.
- Fully charge mobile devices and store emergency contacts in memory.
- Fuel your vehicles.
Medical and Life Support Customers:
- Customers who rely on life-saving medical equipment should have a plan in case of a sudden or extended loss of service. UI medical and life-support customers should register in advance to ensure we are aware of your needs as we proceed with restoration efforts. Call UI at 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI).
- Hire a licensed electrician to install generators and transfer switches.
- Carefully read and observe all instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Never run a generator indoors, in an open garage, or near a window.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
Report an Outage:
- To report an outage, call 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI). Customers can also report outages online at uinet.com; or text “OUT” to 839-884.
For additional storm readiness and safety information:
# # #
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) is a leading, sustainable energy company with $32 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states. AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving 3.2 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates 7.1 gigawatts of electricity capacity, primarily through wind power, with a presence in 22 states across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 6,500 people. AVANGRID supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals, received a Climate Development Project climate score of “A-,” the top score received in the utilities sector, and was awarded Compliance Leader Verification by Ethisphere, a prestigious third party verification of its ethics and compliance program. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com.
About UI: The United Illuminating Company (UI) is a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. Established in 1899, UI operates approximately 3,500 miles of electric distribution lines and 139 miles of transmission lines. It serves approximately 335,000 customers in the greater New Haven and Bridgeport areas of Connecticut. For more information, visit www.uinet.com.