ORANGE, Connecticut — January 30, 2019 — United Illuminating, Southern Connecticut Gas and Connecticut Natural Gas, subsidiaries of AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR), are urging customers to take measures to stay safe and warm during the bitterly cold weather that is forecast for the region.
Temperatures are expected to plunge into the single-digits overnight, with potential wind chills dropping well below zero. Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont has activated the state’s cold weather protocol through Sunday.
UI, SCG and CNG warned that the risk of fire, carbon monoxide poisoning and other hazards can increase during bitterly cold weather. They urged customers to take measures to remain safe during the cold snap.
If you are unable to keep your home safely and comfortably heated, call Infoline at 211 for resources that can help you and your family.
Exposure to extreme cold can cause serious medical conditions including hypothermia and frostbite. To avoid them, stay indoors if possible and wear warm clothing, including head covering and gloves or mittens.
For information about frostbite, hypothermia, and other concerns, visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/index.html.
Fire and Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Fire and carbon monoxide poisoning incidents rise during cold weather, as a result of malfunctioning appliances, poor ventilation and improper use of heat sources. Place smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home, outside of sleeping areas and inside each bedroom. Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors monthly to make sure the batteries are working, and replace the batteries at least twice a year.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless and tasteless toxic gas. It is a product of fuel combustion, and a buildup can result from a furnace or space heater problem. Symptoms of CO poisoning can mimic flu.
For more information about fire and carbon monoxide dangers, visit the National Fire Protection Association: https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/By-topic/Seasonal-fires/Put-A-Freeze-on-Winter-Fires.
Stove and Range
The stove, range and other kitchen appliances are designed for cooking, not heating your home. Use them only as specified in the manufacturer’s instructions.
Use only space heaters that have been tested and certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory. Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions, and never use a device designed for outdoor use indoors. Place the space heater on a level surface away from foot traffic, at least 3 feet from combustible materials. Inspect the cord for fraying, and after plugging it in, periodically feel the cord near the outlet to make sure the plastic is not getting hot. Do not run the cord under a rug or carpeting, and never use an extension cord for a space heater. Keep children and pets away, and turn off the space heater when you leave the area.
More space heater safety information can be found on the U.S. Department of Energy website, at https://energy.gov/energysaver/portable-heaters.
Heating, Hot Water and Plumbing
Keep the furnace area clear of flammable materials and keep vents clear to provide a good air supply to your heating system to ensure proper combustion.
Water pipes that are exposed to cold temperatures may freeze and burst. Don’t ignore drips or odd noises from your heating system — call your heating company to investigate. Wrap exposed pipes in your basement with pipe insulation to help them retain heat.
The American Red Cross offers additional tips for avoiding frozen pipes at http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/winter-storm/preventing-thawing-frozen-pipes.
# # #