Company is committed to responding to and restoring any outages as quickly as possible
ORANGE, Conn. — December 21, 2022 — United Illuminating, a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR), today announced it is preparing for stormy conditions this holiday weekend, with heavy rain and strong winds forecasted for Friday accompanied by rapidly decreasing temperatures. UI is urging customers to follow its lead and prepare for potential outages. The company is actively monitoring the storm’s progress, mobilizing its storm team in advance of the strong winds and forecasted precipitation in the service territory, and augmenting its fully-staffed crews with outside contractors and crews.
“Storms never come at a convenient time, and this storm is no different heading into the holiday weekend, but UI’s employees are answering the call to service, and are focused and committed on ensuring we are fully mobilized and prepared to respond to these storm conditions, with the safety and security of our customers our highest priority,” said UI President and CEO Frank Reynolds. “We recognize the rain, wind and freezing temperatures may impact our customers’ and employees’ holiday plans, but it’s critical everyone is prepared as this storm moves in, and we are committed to responding to outage situations as quickly and efficiently as possible to help our communities stay safe and warm throughout the weekend.”
UI advises customers to be prepared for the possibility of weather-related outages and to have a plan in case of an extended loss of service. Customers should download the company’s app for updates. UI is also offering the following safety tips:
Before a Storm
- Sign up for Outage Alerts. Text REG to 839884 (TEXT-UI) to receive free text alerts if you lose service, and for restoration updates. Or, visit uinet.com for additional alert options.
- Keep long-lasting LED flashlights and lanterns on hand, along with a battery-operated radio, fresh batteries, drinking water, non-perishable foods and prescription medications.
- Fully charge mobile devices and store emergency contacts in memory.
- Fuel vehicles and fill spare fuel tanks for generators.
- Stay far away from downed wires and anything that may be in contact with them. Report downed wires and other electrical hazards to UI at 800.722.5584.
- If a downed wire comes in contact with your vehicle, stay inside, call 911 and wait for help. If you must get out because of fire or other danger, avoid making contact with the vehicle and the ground at the same time. Jump clear of the vehicle, land with your feet together, and hop away with both feet together, or shuffle away without lifting your feet. Don’t run or stride.
- If you suspect a natural gas leak, call the emergency number listed on your gas company’s website. (For Southern Connecticut Gas, call 800.513.8898; for Connecticut Natural Gas, call 866.924.5325).
- Do not use a generator that plugs into your home’s electrical system unless it is connected via a transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician. Improperly connected generators can back-feed electricity into the outside grid and pose a danger to the public and to crews working to restore service.
- Carefully read and observe the instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Never run a generator indoors, in an open garage, or near a window.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
Report an Outage
- To report an outage, visit uinet.com or call 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI).
- Report outages using the company’s new Mobile App, available from the Apple Store and Google Play.
- Report outages via UI’s mobile alerts system: text OUT to 839884 (TEXT-UI). Registration is required.
Additional Storm Readiness and Safety Information
• Visit UI online at uinet.com.
• Find UI on facebook.com/unitedilluminating.
• Follow @UnitedIllum on Twitter.
• Storm relief resources can be found by calling Connecticut’s InfoLine at 211, or by visiting 211ct.org.
About UI: The United Illuminating Company (UI) is a subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. Established in 1899, UI operates approximately 3,600 miles of electric distribution lines and 138 miles of transmission lines. It serves approximately 341,000 customers in the greater New Haven and Bridgeport areas of Connecticut. UI received the Edison Electric Institute’s Emergency Recovery Award in 2019 and 2021. For more information, visit uinet.com.
About AVANGRID: AAVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit avangrid.com.
Learn about the Iberdrola Group’s global pandemic response at its COVID-19 Hub.