Understand Your Usage
How much electricity you use varies from day to day and month to month, depending upon a variety of factors including how many people are in your home, your daily habits, the weather, and the time of year.
Now that cooler months are here, stay comfortable while understanding energy costs
Heating costs: save money and maintain your comfort.
Here are some tips:
- Set the thermostat as low as comfort permits. Each degree above 68º F can use 3% more energy.
- Install a programmable or wi-fi thermostat to automatically control your heating and save money by lowering the temperature when you’re not home.
- If you use electric heat, consider replacing it with a high efficiency ductless mini split heat pump system, which can lower electricity use by as much as 40%.
- Clean or replace furnace filters as recommended and have your furnace burner checked and cleaned annually by a contractor. A well cleaned and tuned heating system saves you money.
- Install high-efficiency LED lighting. LED lighting uses 90% less energy than standard incandescent bulbs and lasts up to 25 times longer.
Energy efficient lighting your home — a great choice!
|Lightbulb Type||watts||kilowatts||hours||kWh||daily cost|
Multiply these figures times the number of bulbs and you can see the energy savings for more efficient lighting can really add up.
*May vary depending on number of run hours and bulb wattage choice. Watts are average usage for typical lighting solutions as identified by ENERGY STAR®.
Now you know if having the kids
home from college is impacting more
than just the grocery bill,
thanks to Energy Analyzer
Our FREE online Energy Analyzer is a cool tool to help you manage your energy costs. See your energy use by category, get tips to reduce your usage and set up an energy savings plan. After completing a simple online energy audit you receive potential cost-saving improvements tailored to your home or business.
Your energy costs will be spread evenly over 12 months so you know how much your bill will be every month. You can enroll, increase or cancel your Budget Billing installments by calling 800.722.5584.
You can purchase energy-efficient products directly from our online store at uismartsolutions.com. We offer great deals and instant rebates on a variety of energy-saving items that will help reduce your energy costs.
Tips to help you manage your energy use while spending time at home
- Turn off lights whenever you leave a room or don't need them
- Use task lighting over desks, tables and workbenches
- Take advantage of natural light whenever possible
- Use the air-drying option instead of heat drying. Or better yet, turn off the drying cycle, open the dishwasher and let the contents air dry
- Keep your refrigerator temperature setting just low enough to chill milk (38-40 degrees F) and the freezer low enough to keep ice cream hard (around 5 degrees F)
- Did you know, every time you open your refrigerator, approximately 30% of the cold air escapes?
- Instead of opening your oven door to check what’s cooking look through the window.
- Use advanced power strips to eliminate any ‘standby’ power that many devices consume even when turned off.
- Set your water heater at 120 degrees F (Many are preset at 140 degrees F)
- To estimate the hours used, think about how your appliances operate – does the appliance cycle on and off all day? Is it on steady for 8 to 10 hours?
- Look at your billing period – remember your monthly bill may not be a calendar month.
- Look at your bill to find the cost of your electricity delivery and supply charges.
Get the kids involved!
Fun and educational activities for your family – join the Power Adventure Team
Explore the Electric Universe! With information for everyone, you can find a section tailored to many ages and interests. Learn about electricity and safety at home or in school, gain wise energy use tips that are good for the environment and play games!