UI, SCG & CNG: Remember to Call Before You Dig
ORANGE, Conn. — April 15, 2020 — During the COVID-19 crisis, many Connecticut residents are using the additional time at home to work on their yards or start home improvement projects. But whether you’re a do-it-yourselfer or a contractor, there’s an important step to take before any work that requires excavation or digging.
United Illuminating, Southern Connecticut Gas and Connecticut Natural Gas, subsidiaries of AVANGRID, Inc., remind contractors and homeowners to Call Before You Dig at least two business days before any project that requires excavation or digging.
Visit CBYD.com or dial 811 to get started. Representatives of area utilities will visit the property and mark out underground utilities using colored paint, flags or stakes. This free service can prevent accidents that can cause injury or costly damage to property or underground utility lines.
Incidents involving third-party damage to underground natural gas and electric facilities occur each year, putting lives in danger and interrupting essential utility service. Many of these incidents can be avoided by contacting Call Before You Dig to have utilities marked out before work begins.
“Contractors are required by law to contact Call Before You Dig before excavating, and we strongly encourage do-it-yourselfers to call as well,” said Michael Eastman, vice president for natural gas operations for Avangrid Networks. “Whether you’re putting in a foundation or a fence, installing a mailbox or planting a tree, making this simple call will help keep everyone safe.”
April is officially recognized by the U.S. Department of Transportation as National Safe Digging Month.
Follow these tips for a safer project:
- Plan to have underground utilities marked as part of all underground construction.
- Mark out the area of construction.
- Visit CBYD.com to open a ticket to have utilities marked out, or call 811.
- Provide adequate training and supervision on a jobsite to assure that good construction practices are followed.
- Properly maintain all underground utility markings.
- Use hand tools with caution in the area of underground utilities.
- Mechanized excavation is forbidden by law within 18 inches of underground gas lines.
- Provide adequate protection and support for underground facilities.
- Use and properly install suitable backfill material around underground facilities.
- If our underground facilities are damaged or disturbed, report it to the company immediately.
- United Illuminating: 800.722.5584
- Southern Connecticut Gas: 800.513.8898
- Connecticut Natural Gas: 866.924.5325
- Call 911 if there is an immediate threat to life or safety.
# # #