Hurricane Season is Heating Up: What UI Customers Need to Know
ORANGE, Conn. — July 31, 2020 — United Illuminating, subsidiary of AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) is monitoring weather forecasts and making preparations as Hurricane Isaias approaches the southeastern U.S. coastline from the Caribbean.
While it is uncertain whether the storm will pose a threat to UI’s service territory, some scenarios project the storm or its remnants could affect the region by early to mid-week. UI prepares for storms year-round, and reminds customers that they should be ready, too.
UI storm readiness personnel have already held planning meetings, and the company is preparing crews and equipment to ensure that adequate resources are available should the storm affect the region. UI crews are working under special protocols to keep themselves and the public safe during the pandemic.
In addition to its own crews, UI is securing contractor support and working with its mutual assistance group, as well as the other AVANGRID companies, in case additional resources are needed.
The company offers the following tips to help customers prepare and stay safe.
Before a Storm:
- Sign up for Outage Alerts. Text “REG” to 839-884 (TEXT-UI) to receive free text alerts if you lose service, and for restoration updates. Or, visit uinet.com for more alert options.
- Keep long-lasting LED flashlights and lanterns on hand, along with a battery-operated radio, fresh batteries, drinking water, non-perishable foods and prescription medications.
- Fully charge mobile devices and store emergency contacts in memory.
- Fuel your vehicles and fill spare fuel tanks for generators.
Medical and Life Support Customers:
- Customers who rely on life-saving medical equipment should have a plan in case of a sudden or extended loss of service. UI medical and life-support customers should register in advance to ensure the company is aware of their needs. Call UI at 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI).
- Do not use a generator that plugs into your home’s electrical system unless it was installed by a licensed electrician via a transfer switch. Improperly connected generators can back-feed electricity into the outside grid and pose a danger to the public and to crews working to restore service.
- Carefully read and observe the instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Never run a generator indoors, in an open garage, or near a window.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
Report an Outage:
- To report an outage, visit uinet.com or call 800.722.5584 (800.7.CALL.UI). Customers can also report outages using the company’s new mobile app, available from the Apple Store and Google Play. Or, they can report outages via UI’s mobile alerts system: text “OUT” to 839-884 (TEXT-UI). Registration is required.
For additional storm readiness and safety information:
- Visit UI online at uinet.com.
- Find UI on facebook.com/unitedilluminating.
- Follow @UnitedIllum on Twitter.
Storm relief resources can be found by calling Connecticut’s InfoLine at 2-1-1, or by visiting www.211ct.org.
# # #