03.07.2018 - UI, SCG, CNG Ready for Winter Storm
ORANGE, Connecticut — March 7, 2018 — AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) says its Connecticut energy companies, United Illuminating (UI), Southern Connecticut Gas (SCG) and Connecticut Natural Gas (CNG), are prepared for the winter storm that’s bringing snow and gusty winds to the state Wednesday and Thursday.
The AVANGRID companies reminded customers that whenever storms are in the forecast, they should be ready for the possibility of loss of electric service, which in some homes could additionally result in the loss of heating systems and well water pumps.
The companies also urged customers to keep exhaust vents, gas meters and regulators clear of snow and ice as they clean up after the storm. Snow, ice and debris can block exhaust vents for furnaces, water heaters and similar appliances. This can cause toxic fumes and poisonous carbon monoxide to build up indoors. Snow and ice also can prevent gas company personnel and first-responders from locating and accessing gas meters and regulators during an emergency.
Once the storm has safely passed, snow or debris should be removed from vents, meters and regulators gently by hand or with a broom to avoid damage. Customers should be alert to ice build-up on rooftops and gutters, which can fall and damage meters and regulators.
Current forecasts call for heavy snow to continue into Thursday, with accumulations of more than a foot in some areas. The heavy snow and gusty winds could bring tree limbs into contact with power lines, causing outages.
Customers are advised to stay far away from downed utility lines, even if they don’t appear to be energized, and report them to their power company (UI customers should call 800.722.5584), or call 911 in an emergency.
UI’s storm readiness teams have been holding planning meetings and readying personnel and equipment to restore any power outages that might result from the storm. The company is coordinating its preparations with state and local emergency preparedness personnel.
Before a storm strikes:
- UI Customers: Enroll in free Outage Alerts, providing the latest information about outages by text message, email, or voice message. To sign up for mobile alerts, text REG to 839-884, or visit Outage Central at uinet.com for additional options.
- Keep battery-operated flashlights and radios on hand, along with supplies of drinking water and non-perishable foods.
- Make sure that smart phones, tablets, and other mobile devices are fully charged.
- Fill your car’s fuel tank.
For customers with generators:
- Hire a licensed electrician to install permanent generators and transfer switches.
- Properly ground all portable generators.
- Carefully read and observe all instructions in your generator’s operating manual.
- Never run a generator indoors, or even in an open garage.
- If your carbon monoxide detector goes off, get out of the building immediately and call 911.
- Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it’s running.
To report outages (UI only):
- Call 800.722-5584 and report via UI’s 24/7 automatic phone system.
- Text “OUT” to 839-884 (registration required).
- Stay far from downed lines and report them immediately to your electric company (800.722.5584 in UI service territory). If there is an imminent danger, call 911 first.
- Report gas odors to your gas company. Call SCG at 800-513-8898 and CNG at 866-924-5325.
- UI: Outage Central at uinet.com.
- SCG: Safety at soconngas.com
- CNG: Safety at cngcorp.com.
- Follow @UnitedIllum and @Avangrid on Twitter and like AVANGRID on Facebook.