Choose a Supplier
Standard Generation Service
If you are a UI customer looking to switch to UI’s Standard Generation Service, we’ve made the process very easy. Just complete the Request to Switch to UI’s Standard Generation Service form below. Enter your account number, name key, POD ID, email and submit. Your electronic request will be sent to our Customer Care Center for processing. Please note that you will need your account information to switch. Please have a copy of your electric bill available.
As a result of Connecticut’s 1998 deregulation law, your electric bill now has two major parts: Delivery and Generation. These are presented separately on your UI Bill.
Delivery is the service that UI provides. We own and operate the system that safely and reliably delivers electricity to your home or business. No matter which Generation supplier you choose, UI remains your electric utility. For more information about the Delivery portion of the bill, visit UI Rates.
Generation is the cost to create the electricity you use. There is a competitive market to provide this service. If you buy Generation service from UI, you pay what we pay, at no markup. Or, you can buy it from alternate suppliers and pay the rates they offer. This appears on your UI Bill as the “Generation Services Charge.”
If you are interested in switching to an alternate supplier, you may find a current list of companies offering generation service in UI’s service territory at EnergizeCT.com. You should contact the suppliers directly to switch.
If you decide to switch suppliers (tips):
- Shop around to find the supplier, rate, and terms that suit you best. Visit EnergizeCT.com to learn more about alternate suppliers.
- Have your most recent UI Bill handy. You will need information from it.
- You can switch as often as once a month. Allow up to two weeks for your request to be processed, after which the new rate will take effect on the date of the next meter reading. This can take a total of up to 40 days.
- Switches occur on your bill cycle meter reading date. The supplier must submit the enrollment at least two days before this date, otherwise the switch will not occur until the next billing period. The supplier may need up to two weeks to process your application to switch. Your first bill with the new supplier will show both the old supplier (for the billing period of the bill) and there will be a note on the bill that says, “Your new Supplier is ...”
Visit EnergizeCT.com for information about energy topics including efficiency, restructuring, energy assistance, environmental issues, consumer issues and research and public policy.
Alternate Supplier Referral Program
Competitive suppliers that offer 12-month fixed rates may have their offerings communicated via UI’s Customer Care Center and website. The chart below shows suppliers participating in this program, with their qualifying electric offers for residential and small commercial customers. (UI Standard Service rates are provided for reference.) In addition to the fixed price, these suppliers may offer time-of-day rates and other price options. Please check with each supplier for information about their offers and see EnergizeCT.com for more supplier offers.
- UI Standard Service at Residential Rate R: 10.5607 cents per kilowatt hour
- UI Standard Service at Small Commercial Rate GS: 10.4432 cents per kilowatt hour
To compare generation rates with other suppliers, visit EnergizeCT.com.
To learn more about the referral program and to be transferred to one of the participating suppliers, call UI at 800 7 CALL UI (800.722.5584). To read the Connecticut PURA decision that provides the guidelines for the referral program, visit Docket No. 05-08-05RE02. Also, view UI's Electric Generation Disclosure Label.
CT Clean Energy Options
CTCleanEnergyOptions is a state-approved program that allows any UI customer the opportunity to support clean energy made from approved renewable resources such as wind, small hydroelectric and landfill gas. Customers who enroll continue to receive electric delivery service from their utility and pay a small clean energy surcharge. Please visit EnergizeCT.com/CTCleanEnergyOptions for full details.
For Energy Suppliers and Aggregators Only
If you are an electric supplier or aggregator, you can find additional information in our Suppliers and Partners section.