In the Economy
The United Illuminating Company's (UI) commitment to the region goes far beyond just providing safe, reliable energy services.
As a community leader for more than a century, we understand the importance of a strong, healthy economy and the continued growth that ensures it. So we use all of the resources at our disposal to support economic development in the towns and cities we serve.
UI’s service territory is located in South Central Connecticut on Long Island Sound, which is the gateway to New England. UI serves 17 cities and towns in this region, including the New Haven and Bridgeport metro areas. South Central Connecticut is strategically located between New York and Boston, with a population of 750,000 people.
South Central Connecticut thrives on a highly-educated workforce and draws on the strengths of the area's location, world-class educational institutions, including Yale University, and storied tradition of innovation to be a center for global excellence in diverse areas including advanced manufacturing, bioscience, arts & tourism, healthcare, financial services, insurance, R&D, energy and more.
UI's Economic Development Team
UI is a state leader in economic development. The United Illuminating Company, in partnership with sister companies Southern Connecticut Gas and Connecticut Natural Gas power the region and support economic development efforts that drive Connecticut's economy.
We are proud to support the economic development efforts of our communities and the state of Connecticut. UI assists our local economic developers by providing funding for their organizations and giving them the tools to better do their jobs. UI is also a major contributor to state organizations like the Connecticut Economic Resource Center (CERC) and the Connecticut Economic Development Association (CEDAS) as well as others. We believe that with our state and local partners we can build a better Connecticut economy; one that produces new, higher paying jobs for the people of this state and their children.
The UI Economic Development team focuses on core activities including:
- Site Selection Assistance
- Business Outreach, Retention & Attraction
- Regional Marketing
- Local & Statewide Partnerships
- Workforce Development
- Entrepreneurship Support
- Energy Services
Please contact us directly for more information and assistance. UI staff considers all information and contact as confidential unless otherwise stated.
Economic vitality – it’s about jobs and robust businesses; it’s about safe and affordable housing no matter your income; it’s about public education; it’s about arts, culture and entertainment; it’s about everything that makes a community livable.
That is why UI is working to shape the quality of life in Connecticut by supporting the growth of affordable housing, reaching out to business owners and residents to offer energy conservation programs, and supporting the growth and expansion of businesses within our service territory.
Here are some of the ways we work to ensure the economic vitality of Connecticut include:
- Connecticut’s Neighborhood Assistance Act Tax Credit program helps organizations purchase energy efficiency equipment.
- Connecticut Main Street Center provides education and training, resources and technical assistance, and advocacy to help towns and cities revitalize their downtown commercial districts. Towns use these tools to develop strategies to support the growth and retention of businesses in their downtown areas.
- UI Actively supports Chambers of Commerce throughout our service territory by sponsoring activities, providing employees expertise, and acting as a resource for Chamber members. We are partners with chambers of commerce and community foundations throughout the UI service territory including:
- Bridgeport Regional Business Council
- CT Regional Institute for the 21st Century
- REX Development Corporation
Working to keep Connecticut businesses healthy and profitable is important to UI. UI offers an energy conscious design support for new construction, expansion, and renovation projects.