Call Before You Dig
The service is free, it's easy to use and it's the law! Call 800.922.4455 or visit CBYD.com
Damage prevention is everyone's responsibility. Whether you're a contractor excavating for a large project or a homeowner installing a mailbox, anyone who conducts earth moving activities should contact Call Before You Dig before starting.
Visit CBYD.com for the most current information about underground utility damage prevention including "pre-marking" requirements.
State laws require anyone who digs to notify utility companies at least 2 business days (but not more than 10) before starting any project that requires underground construction.
Dig Safe tips to follow before starting your next project:
- Plan for utility conflicts as part of all underground construction.
- Mark out the area of construction.
- Properly notify the central clearing-house; call Call Before You Dig at 800.922.4455.
- Provide adequate training and supervision on a job site to assure that good construction practices are followed.
- Properly maintain all underground utilities markings.
- Hand dig in the area of underground facilities.
- Provide adequate protection and support for facilities.
- Notify the utility if a facility is damaged or disturbed so they can make repairs if required.
- Use and properly install suitable backfill material around facilities.