Understanding the Application Process
An interconnection application based on the size of the proposed generator must be submitted to the United Illuminating Company.
Basic Interconnection Application
Residential Single Phase Certified inverter-Based Generating Facilities, 20kW (AC) or Less
This type of interconnection and process is for customers connected via single phase service and the proposed generator must be a certified inverter-based generator with an AC name plate rating of 20kW or less.
Guidelines: Guidelines include IEEE 1547 (the DER interconnection standard).
Advanced Interconnection Application
Fast Track & Study Process Generating Facilities
These types of interconnections and processes are primarily for non-certified inverter-based, induction, or synchronous generators producing between 20kW-20MW of energy.
There are two advance application process categories:
1. Fast Track Process
Interconnecting facilities such as induction, synchronous, certified inverter based generators or other generators producing between 20kW-2MW and can successfully pass the screen criteria set forth in Section 4.2.1 of Connecticut State Guidelines qualify for the Fast Track Process.
If the proposed Interconnection fails the screens, but can be determined to interconnect through the acceptance of supplemental modifications consistent with safety, reliability, and power quality standards, then may be approved to safely interconnect to UI’s Distribution System.
2. Study Process
Interconnecting facilities such as induction, synchronous, certified inverter based generators or other generators producing between 2MW – 20MW or fails both Fast Track screen criteria and Supplemental Modifications. If it can be determined to interconnect through further (feasibility, facility, and Impact) studies and acceptance of additional modifications consistent with safety, reliability, and power quality standards, then it may be approved to safely interconnect to UI’s Distribution System.
Technical Requirements: Technical Requirements include IEEE 1547 (the DER interconnection standard).
A complete application package consists of the following components:
- Complete Signed and Dated Application
- Processing Fees
- One Line Electrical Schematic
- Site Plan
- SAMPLE: Residential Site Plan
- Proof of Insurance (Applies to Fast Track and Study Process only)
- Technical Specification Documents
- Evidence of Site Control (Applies to Fast Track and Study Process only)
|Process||Rating||Time*||Application Fees||Study Fees|
|Inverter Based||0-20 kW||15-30||$200||0|
|Fast Track||0-2 MW||15-45||$500||0|
|Study Process||2MW||105-120||$1000||Actual Cost|
* Please note time is measured in business days. Time varies depending on accuracy, complexity and design of application
One Line Electrical Schematic
Key Elements to illustrate are:
- The utility voltage at the main panel (three- or single-phase)
- The fuse symbol and size at the main panel feeding the inverter
- The number and location of inverters with the manufacturer's name, the model number, and rating
- The location of the utility revenue meter
- The location of the isolation device
- Title Block that includes but is not limited to, customer's name, address, UI account number, and revision number of drawing if applicable
- Standard IEEE conventional symbols should be used to illustrate the inverters, circuit breakers, switches, relays, fuses, etc.
- The location of the site structures, metering, and transformer
- The location of the AC Disconnect Switch with relationship to the UI meter
- It must be clearly identified if the AC Disconnect Switch is not located within 10 ft of the UI meter
Proof of Insurance (Applies to Fast Track and Study only.)
- Standard Accord Form
- Policy Carrier
- Policy Number
- Policy Effective Dates
- Applicable Minimum Limited Liability
|Name Plate Rating||Minimum Liability Insurance Required|
|Less than 100 kW||$300,000|
|Greater than 100 kW to 1 MW||$1,000,000|
A complete application package can be mailed to:
United Illuminating Company
Distributed Generation--MS: AD-2C
180 Marsh Hill Rd
Orange, CT 06477
You may email electronic copies of the required documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org but be sure to mail the payment and signed application to the address listed above.
The application package cannot be entered into UI's project queue without a complete signed interconnection application and payment.